Meandering (Wide)

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Salmon with Red Pepper Pesto

My adventure in cooking continues with this October's issue of CL.  I tried this Salmon with Red Pepper Pesto right away, and was pretty pleased.  Except for the fact that I still can't cook meat... (I'm starting to think this might be a real genetic disorder or something.)  The recipe says to use a grill pan and to cook the salmon for 4 minutes on each side.  But I bought salmon with the skin on one side and Bryann said only to grill it on the side with the skin.

Let me back up.  This may not be so much the fault of my genetics, but Bryann's faulty listening skills.  We had just gotten home from work and I was getting things ready for dinner.  Bryann was sitting at the table playing a game on his phone and I tried to engage him to ask his advice for how to cook the fish.  I asked if he'd prefer to grill it on the BBQ or on the stove.  He said he didn't care.  I asked whether I should grill it in a pan or use the grill pan.  He said it wouldn't matter, he didn't care.  It wasn't until after I'd put the salmon on that he started to care.  Why did I use the grill pan?  Why didn't I use a regular pan?  I reminded him about 3 minutes ago when I asked him what pan I should be using and he said he didn't care...

So Bryann took over cooking the salmon.  He made a little tin foil tent in order to keep the moisture in and stood next to the stove monitoring the salmon for about 20 minutes.  Oh well... It was still delicious!  The pesto was very tasty also, though Bryann didn't like the almonds in it.  (I can't win!)  It took a long time to make the pesto because my food processor is really an extra bit on my blender.  I kept having to pause, push the mixture back down, pulse a few more times, push the mixture back down, and pulse some more.  It took more time to get it all smooth than I really have patience for.

Which, I guess, means that I'm still looking for my go-to salmon recipe.  For the summer season, I think the peach salsa wins out.  But for when peaches aren't in season, I'd love to find a recipe I can make all year round.

No comments:

Post a Comment