Meandering (Wide)

Friday, July 20, 2012

Questionable Ethics and the Anger that Follows

One of my ex-co-worker/friends called me yesterday and had news he wanted to make sure I heard from him and not through the grapevine.

Apparently the layoffs were all a lie.  They're hiring other teachers.  They hired another math teacher, but with a math/science endorsement.  Perhaps they wanted a different staff with overlapping endorsements.  Perhaps they wanted a younger, less experienced staff so they didn't have to pay them as much as the people they laid off with Master's Degrees.  

They found out that Matt, the friend that called me, had been applying to other jobs, so they posted his position on CL and are making him reapply...  Does this sound crazy to anyone else?  They're making Matt REAPPLY to his OWN job because he was applying to other positions.  Is that legal?!  

They did the same thing to another ex-co-worker/friend two years ago after half the staff quit on them.  They called her and asked if she was looking at other jobs.  She made the mistake of being honest with them and admitted she had been, just keeping her options open.  They posted her job and made her reapply.  

I'm still not sad to be out of there.  You can see how completely preposterous and unethical the business practices are at that place.  But man I'm angry as hell.  I'm so angry that it's an anger that's buried and I've lost the words the describe how angry I am.  It's an anger that kept me up all night.  The people that run that school are sneaky, deceptive, unethical, and manipulative.  And I'm angry that I couldn't leave on my own terms and tell them where to shove it.  

3 comments:

  1. Wow.
    That is insane. And awful. Makes you wish it were possible to warn the newcomers or people who may consider applying there in the future. How bizarre. I'm sorry... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi!

    I can only hope that karma is real and puts them in check. You are such a talented and gifted teacher- don't let them do further damage and take that away from you. Remember "The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire":)

    Let's get together soon!!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! I love that quote. It's been on my mind since the BBQ at your place. :-) Definitely on fire, here.

      Delete