Meandering (Wide)

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Week 37

House project continued this week.  We still had dad around for a few days to finish some things off, and the nursery is pretty much ready.  We got it painted, and furniture put in.  Mom and I did an IKEA trip so we now have all the furniture we need.  Katee came over and helped me put furniture together and also helped me get it arranged in a functional way.  I still have a lot of organizing to do, but there is now a semblance of a nursury!  Living room and kitchen are pretty much done.  Hallway is painted, and trim is primed.  Some of it is painted, but doors still need a coat of paint, and trim all needs a 2nd coat.  I'm getting REAL tired of house projects though, and I'm starting to fear it just won't all be done in time.  Bryann got a LITTLE more tiling done in the master shower, but I think there is still a full 3 or 4 days of work that needs to be put in and Bryann just doesn't have full days to commit except on Sundays. 

This week was pretty busy otherwise.  I got to celebrate Tamara's little Hannah during her baby shower last weekend.  Bryann and I did a maternity photo session on Tuesday with a fabulous friend and co-worker at my old school.  She is also pregnant and is due a week before me.  We got one sneak-peek photo, and I'm really excited to see the rest!  I also hosted book club on Thursday, went to childbirth classes on Friday, and saw "My Fair Lady" on Saturday.  I'm heading out to Seaside this next week for another few days of Epic fun.  I'm not a super fan of traveling, but spending another few days at the beach is really not the worst thing in the world. 

What Baby T has been up to this week:
  • Callie is now considered "full term" and the pregnancy websites say she should weigh 6 1/3 lbs and measure 19 inches.  My OB says she is probably at the 6 lb mark right now, and will likely stay pretty small, but that that's normal since I'm a pretty small gal myself. 
  • She's not tumbling around as much as she used to, but she is definitely stretching and jabbing a lot!  She has less room to maneuver now that she's getting so big and filling up every possible inch of my stomach.
  • Calista is practicing breathing by sucking in and out the amniotic fluid and is also sucking her thumb, blinking her eyelids, and turning from side to side. 
Pregnancy symptoms this week include:
  • I found the following from the "What to Expect" website hilarious so I thought I'd post it in its entirety below.  I've checked the symptoms I've personally been experiencing.
**Changes in fetal activity: By the time your baby’s head is engaged in your pelvis, he’ll have a lot less room for any more than a twist or squirm. What’s important is that you feel some movement every day. Remember, though, that your baby is behaving like a newborn now and has interludes of deep sleep, when he barely moves at all.

**Heartburn or indigestion: If your heartburn is getting worse these days, try eating a handful of almonds. Other home remedies that may banish the burn: a tablespoon of honey in warm milk or some dried papaya.

(no idea on this one.  I haven't had a cervical exam yet)  Cervical dilation or effacement: To get ready for labor, your cervix will dilate (open up) and efface (get thinner). For some women, the two take place gradually, over a period of weeks or months. Others can efface and dilate overnight. You won’t be able to feel it, but your practitioner will be able to tell during an internal exam.

(Gross!  none of this yet!)  Bloody show: A pink- or brown-tinged mucus discharge means that the blood vessels in the cervix are rupturing as the cervix dilates in preparation for labor and delivery (it won’t be long now!).

(Thankfully none of these!) Varicose veins: If the veins in your legs are acting up now, try sleeping on your left side, which is the best position for optimum circulation. Also try elevating your legs by putting a pillow under your feet. Both positions will keep the blood flowing.

(not yet!)  Pelvic pressure and discomfort: If your baby’s head is pressing into your pelvis, hips, and bladder, you’ll feel more pressure as the week wears on. If you feel really uncomfortable, invest in a belly sling that will support the weight of your belly and take pressure off your back (see below) and pelvis.

(I get resless leg, and some cramping in my leg/hip crease) Leg cramps: If leg cramps are making a misery of your nights, try drinking more fluids during the day and make sure you’re eating enough calcium (those almonds you’re munching for the heartburn come in handy again!) and magnesium. All three can help with leg cramps.

(no stretch marks, yet!  Thanks for the good genes, mom!) Stretch marks: With your boobs and belly (and possibly butt) as big as they’ve ever been, you’ve probably noticed those classic marks of maternity by now. Don’t worry, they’ll fade into silvery lines and turn into a badge of pride (or at least motherhood!) a few months after childbirth.

** (Bryann has stopped asking me where things are.)  Forgetfulness: There are so many things to keep track of now (Is the camera charged and packed? Do you have a baby outfit washed and ready to bring to the hospital? How many dinners are stocked in the freezer?) that it’s no wonder you’re walking around in a fog. Post reminders around the house and on your computer so you won’t forget appointments.

** Difficulty sleeping: You’ve heard that pregnancy insomnia is Mother Nature’s way to prepare you for the sleepless nights ahead, but try to squeeze in some shut-eye so you have enough energy for childbirth and beyond. Sleep in a little longer, nap when you come home after work or on weekends, and give yourself a relaxing routine when it’s time for bed.

What I miss/What I'm looking forward to:
  • I miss the usual stuff still
  • Looking forward to finished projects, but not sure that's ever going to happen at this point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment