Meandering (Wide)

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Curry Fail

Tonight's Dish-of-the-Day:  Bombay Chicken Curry with Coconut Rice

It looks tasty, but don't be fooled!  This curry is disastrous!!  I've a good mind to post a nasty review on the website, but I didn't  follow the instructions exactly...


If you've already looked at the recipe website, you'll notice it's a recipe for Bombay Shrimp Curry, not Chicken Curry...  That aside, I hold that I followed the essence of the recipe.  I didn't change anything that would have drastically changed the taste.  I've made curry before...delicious, flavorful curry.  And this was nothing like it.

I cooked the cubed chicken beautifully in the dutch oven (even Bryann was proud of me!)  I saved the juices from cooking the chicken to replace some of the water in the recipe to make the sauce more flavorful.  I used precise spice measurements with my new and amazing measuring spoons.  I didn't omit the ground red pepper even though I'm usually afraid of any spices meant to make food spicy.  I even bought mustard seeds instead of using the ground mustard I had on hand.  I followed the timing of the recipe perfectly.

The only thing I changed was add the coconut milk to the sauce instead of the rice.  The sauce was clear and runny, so I added the coconut milk to the sauce with a bit of cornstarch mix to thicken it up.  Then poured the sauce over the rice.  I even sprinkled fresh chopped cilantro on top.

Yuck!  Just plain yuck.  Even without tasting it, I knew it would be yuck.  I've made incredible curry before, and this didn't look or smell like the yummy curry I was hoping for.  Bryann, the amazing husband that he is, took the first bite and exclaimed "It's good!"  I stared at him without comment until he cracked and admitted "It's alright... It's not baaaaaad..."  Oh Bryann... It was bad.  Bryann powered through it because he knew I wasn't going to make another dinner, and we don't have any more frozen pizzas.  I only got through a couple of bites before I couldn't tolerate it any more.  It had spice, but it didn't have any flavor.  

We went over what was different in this recipe than the other times I'd made curry.  This used curry powder, and normally I use curry paste.  This used lite coconut milk, and normally I use the regular stuff.  This had the spices coated onto the chicken and onions, and normally I mix the curry paste and spices into the hot coconut milk.

Maybe the big difference is that this recipe is more Indian style curry, and I prefer Thai style curry with the fish sauce and all.  The point is that I won't be making this again, and I don't recommend it for anyone else.

Hopefully I've curried enough favor with Bryann that he'll still continue to try my future attempts at dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment