Meandering (Wide)

Friday, July 15, 2011

Wedding Gifts

I posted this link in response to one of Tamara's recent posts.

http://robertfulghum.com/index.php/fulghumweb/entry/2094_wedding_gifts/

Bryann and I were married just over a month ago and we received none of the "practical" gifts Fulghum suggests newly married couples really need.  Partly because we've been living together for two years and we have quite the collection of old towels, tools, and band-aids.  Mostly because we wanted shiny new things!!

He's right though.  We didn't have these things when we really needed them.  The toilet plunger is the case in point.  The only reason we have a "high quality" toilet plunger is because we had to make an emergency late night run to Safeway and Bryann insisted on buying the good one to take care of the monstrous problem stewing in our bathroom toilet.  I wanted to buy the cheap one to save three bucks, but Bryann reminded me of the gravity of the situation at hand, and I succumbed to his wisdom.

The only item we don't have is the Whoopee Cushion.  Although I'm seriously considering getting one now.  Fulgham's reasoning is sound.

In the short time we've been married, Bryann and I have already had two (rather sizable) fights.  I suppose they weren't fights really, but rather me being very angry at Bryann.  The first due to Bryann's poor prioritizing skills the day before we left on our honeymoon.  The second due to Bryann's poor memory and communication skills surrounding a weekend full of baseball tournaments.  The whoopee cushion could have been useful for both.

This how Bryann and I fight.  I get really angry and silent.  Bryann tries to make things better by saying "I'm sorry" a bajillion times.  I get more angry because "I'm sorry" doesn't fix the problem.  Bryann doesn't know what to say so he mistakenly lets me stew in my anger, and eventually I lash out.  But both of our previous fights may have been diffused nicely with a whoopee cushion.  Because what I really need is to be distracted from my anger until the rational portion of my brain regains control.

And because I think it's true.  "Anger is hard to sustain in the face of a good, loud fart."  Perhaps Bryann just needs to practice farting on demand.  Then again... perhaps just the whoopee cushion will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment