Meandering (Wide)

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Dish-of-the-Day: Grilled Salmon with Tomato-Peach Salsa

Oh... my... goodness.... This dish is AMAZING!  Tonight's dish of Grilled Salmon with Tomato-Peach Salsa was truly incredible.  The grilled salmon, the juicy peaches, the fresh basil...

Perhaps I should start at the beginning.  I'd been looking forward to this meal since I found it in my shiny, new Cooking Light magazine.  Bryann and I went to the store to get the fresh salmon.  We wanted salmon so fresh, we bought a whole fish!  Ok, actually we looked at the $2.00/lb price difference and went with the whole fish after Bryann promised to fillet it.

At home, armed with a kitchen full of fresh herbs and veggies (hmm... I'm seeing a pattern,) and a collection of YouTube videos on "How to Fillet a Fish," Bryann and I set to work.  I prepared the salsa while Bryann prepared the fish.  In the end, Bryann doesn't think it was worth the price difference to buy the whole fish - he ended up throwing away a lot, and filleting it himself wasn't his favorite activity.

Bryann is a grill master, and is really in his element when at the BBQ.  I suspect it's a "man" thing, being content and complete at one's grill, because honestly I feel rather uncomfortable grilling and am happy to let Bryann take over.  After all, my summer project is learning to cook, not to grill.

Salmon by itself is always amazing, but topped with the salsa... it was divine!  For the salsa, I used yellow and white peaches, and grape tomatoes instead of cherry.  I panicked for a moment when I realized I'd forgotten to buy mint leaves and that we were out of honey, but Bryann suggested using our Raspberry Chipotle marinade from Costco in place of the jalapenos and honey.  The mint leaves would have to wait until we made this again.  I can't say it enough times, the combination of the salmon and the salsa was completely and utterly, mouth-wateringly, amazingly, scrum-diddly-umptious!  There may have been a lot of moaning while we were eating...


I think the secret to the salsa is the fresh basil and fresh-squeezed lemon juice.  If I wasn't convinced about the difference fresh ingredients can make, I sure am now!  I'm even contemplating growing my own herb-garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment