Meandering (Wide)

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Dish-of-the-Day: Blackened Tilapia Baja Tacos

Tamara and Rian came over the other night for a double date night that we had to schedule a month in advance.  I know, I know... too many friends, too many things to do, and my diamond shoes are too tight!  But seriously... we have to schedule time to see our friends weeks in advance during the summer because we're all so busy!  Our summer weekends filled up before summer even started.

Anyway......

 Bryann has been begging for fish tacos ever since I made the sauteed tilapia tacos with grilled bell peppers and onions a few weeks ago.  Initially, I wanted to just BBQ the hamburgers and chicken sausages we had on hand, but I got my September issue of CL that afternoon and couldn't resist trying out a new recipe.  I made Blackened Tilapia Baja Tacos and they were a huge hit!  I made the spice mixture and onion cream ahead of time and put the cream in the fridge until we were ready to eat.  I omitted the jalapenos since spicy foods make my mouth want to fall off my face, and used some flour tortillas we had on hand instead of corn.  Bryann and Rian took to the BBQ with the fish and spices, while Tamara and I opened a bottle of Tres Pinos Cuvee - means Three Pines, not Three Pinots like I'd originally guessed, and is a delicious white table wine from Trader Joe's.

Everyone gushed over how delicious the tacos were, what an extraordinary onion cream sauce it was, how the fresh avocado and lime squeeze really made the taco amazing, and what an awesome cook I am!  And even though Bryann doesn't really like sour cream or raw onion, he tried it anyway.  Not surprisingly, he didn't really like the onion cream, but he loved the fish.

I forgot to take a photo of the finished product... this shot came from the website.  

They all knew it was a recipe from CL, and I reiterated that fact as I was being complimented.  But as Tamara is the most considerate and complimentary person I know, she pointed out that I found the recipe and I prepared everything perfectly, and I went to the trouble to get fresh fish, herbs, and veggies, and squeeze fresh lime juice, so I should get credit!

I suppose that's true.  I am now a true believer in the power of fresh herbs and veggies.  I always squeeze fresh lime juice or lemon juice, and chop up fresh herbs when it's called for.  I've even begun to regularly purchase the items I know I'll need most often.

Red onions, avocados, and lime

Now I always have fresh basil and cilantro on hand

I'm starting to feel more confident in my cooking abilities.  I'm really excited about this month's CL issue, and I'm looking forward to branching out and trying new flavors.  I will keep Bryann at the BBQ, but I'm happy doing all of the slicing, dicing, mixing, and cooking in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment