Meandering (Wide)

Monday, August 1, 2011

The Table is Like New! (thanks to the glories of the internet!)

John Boyer was over a few weeks ago, hanging out and helping me bake some cranberry-oatmeal bars (post on that to come...)  I looked up a few things on the internet, in my usual fashion, and some made a remark along the lines of "Look at you, all internet savvy.  Queen of Google!"

I do look up a lot of things online.  I usually just type in a question and VOILA!  There are pages and pages of blogs and forums discussing exactly what I wanted to know!  Yesterday, I looked up "how do I get rid of the white spot on my table" and I came across some really awesome tricks!

Some background information first - Bryann and I bought this gorgeous dining set at a yard sale on the day we moved in... for $75!!  En route with a truck full of our stuff to our new home on Moving Day, Bryann spotted the table at a yard sale and texted me to go check it out.  We'd been scouring Craigslist for weeks looking for a dining set and had only found overpriced crap.  We were even ready to buy a brand new set from Ikea or one of the furniture liquidation stores.  When I got the text from Bryann, I was dubious to be sure, but when I saw the table in person, I wondered why they were selling it for only $100.  And if they were dumb enough to sell it for so little, maybe I could get it for even less!  I got it for $75 and moved it into our brand new living room 5 minutes later!

A few potlucks, two Wine & Dine parties, and a Superbowl party later, our beautiful table had acquired several hideous white heat marks.  I didn't think about trying to get rid of them until yesterday when, on a whim, I googled my question.  There were some stories about remedies involving baking soda paste, ashes, toothpaste, and even leaving mayo on it over night.  I tried the baking soda one, but that didn't work very well.

 Another blog suggested laying a towel down, and then using an iron on medium heat with the steamer on.  I was really nervous about that one, since heat caused the marks in the first place, but I tried it anyway.  The white marks came right off!  It was pretty amazing, and I'm still not sure how or why it works.  I'm just glad to have our table back to gorgeous again!

No comments:

Post a Comment