Meandering (Wide)

Monday, August 15, 2011

Dish-of-the-Day: Grilled Chicken with Pineapple, Corn, and Bell Pepper Relish

While I was home today, wasting away my time on the internet and chatting with Bryann while he was at work, he asked me what was for dinner.  Oh yeah!  I'm supposed to be learning to cook!

The last few weeks have been filled with Softball tournaments, trips out of town, and dates with friends, so the cooking project has been put on the back burner.  We've been subsisting on nothing but fast food and frozen pizzas.  But two weeks and 5 lbs later, I've decided it's time to get back to my normal pants size and get this household back into some healthy-eating habits.

I opened up my CL magazine and rifled through to a few recipes I'd dogeared.  To Bryann, I suggested BBQ chicken with a relish from my magazine.  "Relish.....?" he says.  "Like the pickle grossness?" (that's a direct quote from our chat, btw.)

"No," I say, "like corn and bell pepper relish."

"Yummy!"  He was probably sold at the mention of corn.

Since this requires some grilling, I mixed up the seasonings (cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper) and left Bryann in charge of the barbecue while I chopped the veggies and made the relish (pineapple, red onion, corn, red bell pepper, cider vinegar, and basil.)  This recipe is SUPER easy and is very forgiving.  Instead of cutting up fresh pineapple, I used a can of crushed pineapple I'd found in the depths of our pantry, frozen corn instead of cutting it fresh from the ear, and dried basil instead of fresh. You get the picture...

The result was a party in my mouth.  I was nervous about Bryann's reaction, so I piled the salsa on his chicken before he could be nit-picky about it.  Bryann gobbled it up and didn't even ask where the rice or potatoes were.  I'm looking forward to making it again with fresh basil - my new favorite seasoning.  I never would have guessed that garlic and cumin went so well with pineapple.  But I guess that's why I'm learning to cook.  So I learn these things.  And so I can be more creative on my own with whatever we have on hand.





No comments:

Post a Comment