Meandering (Wide)

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

New Year's Resolution #2: Wine & Dine Blog

Two years ago, I started a Wine & Dine club in Portland.  My parents have been a part of a Wine & Dine club for years (and years and years) and they took me to a party one summer.  It was the best party that my parents had ever dragged me to - it may have helped that I was also drinking...  So I decided to start a group in Portland with my friends.

We get together once a month for wine tasting and a pot-luck style dinner.  Whoever is hosting will choose the wines and provide the main course, while guests contribute to the cost of the wine and bring a side dish, appetizer, or desert.  Wine & Dine is a great excuse to get together with 15 of our closest friends, get creative in the kitchen and bring a dish you'd never try making otherwise, and drink wines you've never been adventurous enough to try.  It's been going strong for over two years and it's something I look forward to every month.

A few months after I started Wine & Dine, my dear, wonderful, amazing friend Jeff purchased a website for me  for Wine & Dine and I just never got it going.  I was a little overwhelmed with the technology speak of it all - trying to design it the way I wanted - and I didn't have any sort of direction to take it.  I don't do well with blank canvases...

So the website (and Wordpress blog) mulled around in my head for the last couple years and I'm finally to a point where I can take on the monster.  It's not a website anymore, and it's not Wordpress - too much HTML code for me to handle, and I'm too much of a perfectionist to just leave the little things be.  I switched it over to Blogger, which is a platform I'm more comfortable with and there's waaaaaaaay more help blogs and how-to websites for Blogger than for Wordpress, so I can teach myself how to use and design it.

Hence the Resolution #2 is to get the Wine & Dine blog rolling.  I've already got a jump start on it, since I'm on Winter break for two weeks with not much else to do but perfect the blog.  It's in the beginning stages, of course.  I haven't exactly figured out what form it will take, what it will be most useful for, or what types of content we'll be putting up.  Actually I feel like I need a business plan or a blog committee or something...  But it's up!  It's created.  And I'm dedicated to making it work!

Check it out here:  www.wineanddineportland.blogspot.com

I also have a link to Wine & Dine in my blogroll.

Suggestions for content would be most welcome.  I also accept compliments.  :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment