Meandering (Wide)

Friday, December 16, 2011

Reflections on 2011

It may seem a little early, but I started thinking about my New Year's resolutions a few weeks ago.  I'm a big fan of celebrating the New Year.  I get to reflect on the year gone by and rejoice in all of the great things that happened, and say good-riddance to any hard times we experienced.  When the New Year hits, it's like the mistakes of the past year are erased and we get to start all over again, fresh.  I feel like I have another chance at being the best version of myself.

2011 was pretty awesome.  Much better than 2010.  Bryann got a job at the beginning of the year.  We were blessed enough to continue to both have jobs and be able to afford our home.  Bryann and I got married, and went on an amazing, spectacular honeymoon.  We stood next to some of our best friends in the world as witnesses to their marriage.  We had several wonderful weekends at our beloved beach house.  And we were even able to pay off a few loans along the way!

My 2011 New Year's resolutions went pretty well for the most part.  Last year, I resolved to join a choir.  I realized at the beginning of December that I had not yet joined a choir, so I contacted some former WU choir friends and tried to make a little progress toward that goal.  I'd put out some feeler inquiries throughout the year, but I was too paralyzed with fear to actually audition for a choir.  I kept thinking "I haven't looked at sheet music in 6 years!  How am I going to audition for anything?!?  I've only been singing in the car or to my dogs, my tone and range must be awful by now!"  (hmmm... maybe in 2012, I'll resolve to cut down the negative self-speak...)  But I took the leap and auditioned for a choir last weekend.  The sight reading was a bit of a disaster, but at least I tried.  I won't know if I got the spot until sometime next week, so I am re-resolving to join a choir in 2012.  

Last year I also resolved to be a more generous person.  Generous in all aspects of the word.  I can be a rather selfish person sometimes, about the weirdest things, like the extra $1 to tip a waitress, or driving 10 minutes out of my way to pick something up.  Bryann is the most generous person I know, and I wanted to be more like him.  He tips heartily (even when I don't think the server deserves it,) and he gives his time and energy to anyone who needs it (even if they didn't do the same thing for him previously).  

I wanted to be more like that.  I wanted to let go of my petty selfishness and be a more generous person.  It quite literally turned into my mantra for 2011.  I needed to constantly remind myself to tip better.  If I owe someone $18, I can give them a $20 bill and call it good.  I can tip the waitress with the dollars I have in my wallet rather than make change with the coins in my purse.  (Like I said, I get stingy about the strangest things...)  I don't NEED that extra dollar.  I can do this favor for my friend because I don't NEED to be in bed by 9:00pm.  The extra 10 minutes driving to pick this thing up WON'T cost that much in gas and ISN'T a waste of my time.  

It's still a quality that I'm working on...  But my efforts this last year made me a better version of myself.  And  I think it made me a better teacher, too.  I was more generous with my time for my students.  I was more generous with my patience.  I was more generous with my understanding for each student's unique and precarious situation.  I feel better about what I've accomplished at school this year.  

I'm looking forward to next year's goals.  They are still percolating, and finding a form, but I'm excited about them.  To be shared soon...  

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see another post... so wonderful to be in your loop. So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete