Meandering (Wide)

Monday, January 16, 2012

...Save the Deepening of the Spirit

And let there be no purpose in friendship save the deepening of the spirit.

For love that seeks aught but the disclosure of its own mystery is not love but a net cast forth: and only the unprofitable is caught.
And let your best be for your friend.
If he must know the ebb of your tide, let him know its flood also.
For what is your friend that you should seek him with hours to kill?
Seek him always with hours to live.
For it is his to fill your need, but not your emptiness.
And in the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures.
For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.
 -Khalil Gibran

I've been reflecting a lot lately on the relationships in my life.  Tamara passed this along a few weeks ago - 20 New Year's Resolutions for 20-Somethings.  Hilarious as most of it is, #14 struck me.  " Cut one person out of your life who you truly do not like and add one person who you truly do. Note: not on Facebook, on Earth."  

As I was reading this, the instant part of my brain was thinking - easy enough, I'll delete a friend on Facebook - but then when I read the end, I was caught wondering if there was anyone in my life I didn't like.  That answer, I'm proud to say, is no.  I may actually be too young to say this, but I'm too old to deal with people I don't like!

Some of my favorite women at my bridal shower, April 2011
I know I've talked a lot before about my super awesome and amazing friends, but among those friends (and family) are some truly amazing women.  They are all strong, independent, wonderful women.  There are too many positive adjectives to describe them.  They are all the perfect examples of what friends should be.

We don't gossip about each other.  We don't cut each other down behind closed doors, or behind backs.  We throw compliments around, not insults.  We encourage each other.  We support each other.  We build each other up.  We cherish each other.  There is no other purpose to our friendships save the deepening of our spirits.  I'm so lucky to have them all in my life, and I strive to be as great a friend to them as they are to me.


The Bachelorette Crew, May 2011



1 comment: