Meandering (Wide)

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Reflections on My Time as a Twenty-Something

I just turned 29 a few days ago.  It's almost the end of an era.  Perhaps the era doesn't end at 30.  Perhaps it ends when we have kids.  Perhaps it never ends.  But it definitely feels like something is coming to a close.  So I just want to reflect for a moment and make sure I did it right.

In my twenties, I...

  • Got a bachelors and a master degree
  • Moved every year until I was 28
  • Lived in four different cities
  • Worked at 16 different jobs
  • Owned 4 different cars
  • Dated undisclosed number of boys  :-P  (that's a secret, I'll never tell... xoxo!)
  • Traveled to 15 different countries (Mexico, Canada, South Africa, New Zealand, Fiji, Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, Sweden, Denmark, England, France, Aruba, Curacao, Virgin Islands)  
  • Partied my face off
  • Made and kept amazing friends for the entirety of my twenties
  • Bought a house
  • Adopted a dog and a cat
  • Started a Wine & Dine club
  • Married my best friend
My twenties were marked with a lot of change, indecision, and insecurity.  But my twenties were also blessed with great friends, great adventures, and loads of fun.  I have one more year to be a twenty-something.  I'm not sure what I'm going to fill it with yet.  Probably more traveling, partying, and adventure-ing.  But I'm not terribly worried about it.  I could have turned 30 this year and been satisfied with the way I spend my twenty-something years.  I've done everything I wanted to do and I've filled my life with the experiences I wanted (and with the experiences pretty typical of a twenty-something.)  And in the most general sense, I have no regrets.    Sure, I made some mistakes.  I hurt some people.  I hurt myself.  But when I consider where I am now, and how wonderful life is, I am reminded that everything always works out just the way it should.

So I find myself 29, mostly settled, perfectly content, and very happy with the direction my life is going.  If I had to go back and do it all again, I'm not sure I would do it any other way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment