Meandering (Wide)

Monday, November 14, 2011

Day 14: This time in my life

This one is a bit of a double edged sword.  I'm thankful to be in my late 20's.  I have my entire life ahead of me.  I am married to a great guy, I have a good job, I have great friends, and my life is pretty care-free.  I can, for the most part, pick up and go on vacation whenever I feel like it, I can go out with friends whenever I want, I can take my career in whatever direction I so choose.

On the other side, this time in my life completely terrifies me.  The Summer Day by Mary Oliver is a poem that I read a long, long time ago, and the very last two lines go "Tell me, what is it you plan to do/ with your one wild and precious life."  Am I doing enough?  Am I striving for enough?  Am I going to reach the end of my life and wish I could go back and fill it with more people?  More love?  More adventure? 

I feel like I'm at a very precarious point in my life.  I don't have any regrets so far...  The last 28 (almost 29...eek!) years have been pretty awesome.  I've traveled, I've learned, I've worked, I've loved.  I've done some things I'm not particularly proud of, but then we're back to the part where I've learned. 

What happens next?  What if we have kids too early and we regret not doing more single-people stuff?  What if we can't have kids at all?  What if I make the wrong career move and end up miserable?  What if I don't do enough to cultivate my friendships or my marriage? 

I actually had to go to therapy in college because I was completely terrified of my future and became paralyzed with indecision.  My therapist said HANDS-DOWN the most helpful thing anyone has ever said to me.  She said no matter what decisions I made, there was nothing in life I couldn't bounce back from.  No mistake was so grave that I couldn't rebound from, except for murder and heroine addiction. 

So I remain thankful for this time in my life.  I continue to ask myself, what will I do with this one wild and precious life?  I'm so young still that I can do anything.  Hopefully I will always remember to live life to its fullest, because I may not get a second chance at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment