Meandering (Wide)

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Day 5: My Parents

I often marvel at how my parents raised such amazing children... Not to brag or anything, but I think I turned out pretty well.  I'm responsible, educated, employed, and self-sufficient.  The most trouble I've ever been in was in 8th grade when I got caught shop lifting, and got drunk off tequila at a friends house.  Not surprisingly, both incidents were with the same friend, and we didn't stay friends for very long...

My parents encouraged me to explore the things that interested me, told me I could be anything or do anything I set my mind to.  They let me play five different sports throughout my years in school, let me try out two different instruments, and let me sing in choir.  They never MADE me do anything (except clean my room.)  They only encouraged me to pursue the activities I wanted to.

They taught me the importance of education.  They made sure I did my homework, that I could spell and use grammar correctly, that I stuck with the math until I understood.  I never even considered not trying to do well in school because education became important to me as well.  Somehow, they instilled intrinsic motivation in me.

They were strict with me and punished me appropriately when I deserved it, and they showered me with love always.  They took me on awesome vacations, and whether we were off in the motor home, camping, sailing, or skiing, we always had a great time and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

They've always been supportive, and they only want me to be happy.  I love hanging out with them, I look forward to visits, and I talk to them on the phone every week.  I don't think a lot of people have the same relationship with their parents, and I'm thankful that I have such amazing parents that I actually WANT to be around them.

Thanks Mom & Dad, for raising me right, for always being there for me, and for being cool people.  I love you.




No comments:

Post a Comment